Jim Manis on Most Anything

Jim Manis can formulate an opinion about a good many things, including those about which he has little knowledge. (And some dude named "Lazlo.") Visit The MagicFactory.

Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Lincoln in the BardoLincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


A tour de force, Man Booker Prize winner that reminds me of a film script in its presentation. (The Brits like unusual approaches to novel writing; in other words, they like novels to be novel when it comes to awarding prizes.)

As I was reading the book, I was never sure whether I liked the book or not. Ten-year-old Willie dies of a disease that could easily be cured today, and his father, who is the president during a terrible civil war, feels misery beyond words, while everyone around them, including ghosts, find no lack of words.

The reader needs to be aware of "pointillism," which, I think, has caused quite a few readers some discomfort. You might also think of creating a collage. 

It is a quick read.



View all my reviews

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home