Jim Manis on Most Anything

Jim Manis can formulate an opinion about a good many things, including those about which he has little knowledge. (And some dude named "Lazlo.") Visit The MagicFactory.

Saturday, April 03, 2021

An Introduction to PhilosophyAn Introduction to Philosophy by George Stuart Fullerton
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I suppose if I'd read this book when it was first published (1915) I'd have rated it much higher. Time has taken its toll. For me, one of the more interesting aspects of the book is the language that Professor Fullerton uses to discuss his topic. It reflects the "most correct English" as the university would describe it of the time. The language used – diction and syntax – was itself a moral issue at the time. This is what the modernists ran away from as fast as their pens and typewriters would carry them. This is the language of the upper class in England, or at least what the better east coast schools in America perceived it to be.

View all my reviews

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home