Jim Manis on Most Anything

Jim Manis can formulate an opinion about a good many things, including those about which he has little knowledge. (And some dude named "Lazlo.") Visit The MagicFactory.

Sunday, May 01, 2005

Energy Crisis: Finally someone is at last advocating lowering the speed limit to 55: Today, the New York Times ran a piece, "Unmentioned Energy Fix," reporting the effectiveness of the stratedgy the government imposed on us back in the seventies. Back then, our cars got half the mileage that they do today. Now cars are better tuned and we can get decent mileage at higher speeds, but the quickest fix to reduce oil (that is, gasoline) consumption is to reduce highway driving speed. The move would really payoff with deisel. Trucks notoriously get bad mileage at speeds above 45 miles per hour. The trick, of course, would be enforcement.

Personally, I drive 55 whenever I can on the Interstate. I put in a lot of miles every year on a very busy Insterstate, with almost half of that traffic being semi-tractor trailer vehicles. I find that when I drive 55 vehicles have no trouble passing me while at the same time they rarely run up on the tail of my car. In the meantime, I'm cutting down on my gasoline use. It amazes me how many people don't realize that driving slower actually improves gas mileage.

The Vast Left Wing Conspiracy: If you pick up and read a book, you're part of it. Reading a book is a liberalizing activity. So, be careful, conservatives! Michael Moore lurks within Rupert Murdock's empire!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home