Jim Manis on Most Anything

Jim Manis can formulate an opinion about a good many things, including those about which he has little knowledge. (And some dude named "Lazlo.") Visit The MagicFactory.

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Native Americans Gave Us Corn; Is It Our Savior?

I grew up in the mid-west. My father planted sweet corn every summer, as did my grandfather and great grandfathers, and my mother and grandmothers cooked and canned it. We ate corn nearly every day. I still eat corn regularly, it's a staple of my diet. But something does seem wrong when you travel through the mid-west and see a sea of it (and soy beans) growing everywhere.

If you missed Michael Pollan's Fresh Air interview recently, check out the interview on Truthdig.com. for a closer look at the nation's reliance on this foodstock, and its effects on our health and environment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home