Jim Manis on Most Anything

Jim Manis can formulate an opinion about a good many things, including those about which he has little knowledge. (And some dude named "Lazlo.") Visit The MagicFactory.

Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Rimbaud Complete Rimbaud Complete by Arthur Rimbaud

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Rimbaud has been referenced as an important poet by many poets over the years, but I had only read a few brief passages. Having now read Wyatt Mason's translation, I see why those poets see him as an important influence on 20th century poetry, despite having produced a small body of work over about three years, between the ages of 17 to 20, after which he evidently stopped writing poetry, became a businessman and moved from France to northern Africa.

This edition is bilingual, and I neither speak nor read French, so I cannot speak to the quality of the translation. The poetry, however, in English is vivid.



View all my reviews

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home