Jim Manis on Most Anything

Jim Manis can formulate an opinion about a good many things, including those about which he has little knowledge. (And some dude named "Lazlo.") Visit The MagicFactory.

Saturday, December 07, 2019

The Best American Short Stories 2019The Best American Short Stories 2019 by Anthony Doerr

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


The tastes of individual readers may change but gradually over the years, but editorial tastes tend to move in occasional leaps. Or so it seems to me. The last three years of this annual anthology have illustrated this to me. The broadening of the editorial scope has opened the sorts of stories up to a wider range of writers, reflecting the diversity in the English speaking world. While I embrace the enlarged scope, I don't always enjoy it quite as much as I'd hoped. But then I'm old, and we tend to value most what we enjoyed most at an earlier period in our lives. It's still a joy to read well crafted short stories, which these invariably are.



View all my reviews

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home