Jim Manis on Most Anything

Jim Manis can formulate an opinion about a good many things, including those about which he has little knowledge. (And some dude named "Lazlo.") Visit The MagicFactory.

Thursday, March 21, 2019

The Best American Short Stories 2018The Best American Short Stories 2018 by Roxane Gay

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


This is the 31st edition in a row that I've read of this collection. Seems only like yesterday, to coin a phrase. It has long been one of my annual treats to read the current edition.

The last two years have delivered an increasing diversity in authors and stories. Some people object to this, and it does take some getting used to.

I can't say that any of these stories thrilled me. Perhaps I've just become to jaded. But the quality of writing is still first rate, and it's always interesting to see what's made it past at least three very good editors. Most of what becomes published never makes it past this much sifting. That could lead to mediocre work, or indicate work of the very best quality.



View all my reviews

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home