Jim Manis on Most Anything

Jim Manis can formulate an opinion about a good many things, including those about which he has little knowledge. (And some dude named "Lazlo.") Visit The MagicFactory.

Friday, June 21, 2019

The Collected Poems of Galway KinnellThe Collected Poems of Galway Kinnell by Galway Kinnell

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Kinnell is one of the important poets from the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s. I'm not sure how many people remember his work now, but such is the fate of most poets and, for the most part, writers in general. I did have the pleasure of hearing him read in person in 1979/80 while I was a graduate student.

I don't find anything groundbreaking about Kinnell's work. He is, however, a solid representative of the period: an academic with unkept hair and a rich voice. Sometimes the vocabulary gets in the way of the music.



View all my reviews

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home