Jim Manis on Most Anything

Jim Manis can formulate an opinion about a good many things, including those about which he has little knowledge. (And some dude named "Lazlo.") Visit The MagicFactory.

Thursday, June 25, 2020

The Burning GirlThe Burning Girl by Claire Messud

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Huck and Tom as 21st century girls. That seems to be how this novel starts, but it's not satire, and it morphs into a cloud of puberty, depression, memory, and the question of just how well we ever know anyone.

As I read this, I kept trying to remember if I ever felt this intensely about any of my friends when I was 12 to 15 years old, but while I had friends I enjoyed being with and respected for one reason or another, I don't think I ever did.

Messud has created two very interesting characters in this novel. One smart and curious, the other wounded and defiant.



View all my reviews

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home